Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Untitled


This is a project I'm working on for Methods and Critique. I've now done 4 peoples full faces and 2 partial faces. Each face takes about 2 hours to complete. I'm struggling with a title, any ideas?

Artist Statement:

It seems as though people are always after something and usually at the expense of others. We plunge though life shooting for our goal of that career, marriage, children, money, car, house, or any other "shiny new toy" we think we want. In the process we forget to actually see and appreciate the people around us, especially family.

I've created these images to show how physically blinding such gems in life can be without the right motive. My materials were simply a friends face, Vaseline, and acrylic gems. It's tedious work that persistently insists on making it harder as the gems periodically fall off and my models twitch, talk, or sneeze as they grow increasingly uncomfortable.

The ending images are ironically beautiful, but although success can be a beautiful thing, it doesn't last forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment