Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Not Sure of How This All Going to Turn Out...

This is a photo of an abandoned building in my hometown. It's really awkward because just down the street on the other side are really nice buildings with high-end shops in them, but then there's this place. I'm not entirely sure of where my project is going right now. I have some ideas, but I'm kind of waiting for the photos to make up my mind for me. I enjoy the complimentary color scheme, the angles in the brick and cement, and the perspective as formal elements of the composition.
Conceptually, I like the grittiness of the image. Photos like this one are far more interesting to me in what they could be saying about the environment than ones of pristine buildings. That kind of decay in such close proximity to somewhere that appears to be an apartment is disturbing because it shows the lack of care for something that was made by humans to begin with. We often take so much care to make something, but do we take as much care after it has become something usual to us? When something becomes usual or normal to our existence, we often don't care as much about it or even realize it exists anymore. In the wake of being assaulted by so much visual noise every day, we often don't see what is around us. How many aspects of our world do we miss because we try so hard to tune out the unwanted noise in our lives?

No comments:

Post a Comment