Saturday, April 10, 2010

The Front Door

This photo is from a cute little neighborhood in West Dundee. I found this house interesting because while landscaping and colors of the house don't necessarily speak too loud of a message about the person who dwells there, I did find the positioning of the door to be interesting. It is not visible if you are straight in front of the house. This is clearly not something that you could easily change when you move in, but it is interesting to consider what kind of message a hidden front door is saying to visitors and about those who live there. When I look at this house, I think of it as an old-person house because of the faded mint green and peachy brick and garage door. However, they must not be too old because the bushes are trimmed. I may be completely off, but those are my assumptions. These assumptions are what I am interested in for my project.
The hidden front door concept makes me wonder why the architect chose to design the house that way. It makes me think about what it was supposed to hide and why it was being hidden. Did the original owners not want visitors? Were they not welcoming to those who were uninvited? I think we often put up walls to avoid or hide things as well. We look away if we don't want someone to talk to us or we don't do an activity just to avoid people. I don't think this is what we are called to do as Christians, but we do it anyway. I think we are truly wanting to show God's light, we need to be open to what he wants us to do and those He places around us.

No comments:

Post a Comment