Sunday, April 25, 2010

Christina

This is a photo I took on my mission trip to the Bahamas last year. (I thought I would switch from all the houses this time...) Christina was one of the leaders for my group. I took this photo close to supper time and right after she had woken up from a nap. I love that I caught the moment that she was unaware I was taking a picture. This photo has an interesting contrast between the cool foreground and the warmer and lighter background, although there is a clear analogous color scheme going on. Most of the light is in the back on the trees, but Christina is still the focus. I also like the slight highlights that fall across her face from the setting sun behind her.
Sometimes the things that aren't highlighted or are hidden are more interesting to look at. Although I find the trees in this image beautiful, I always go back to the figure. When taking photos we always look for light because without it, we wouldn't have any image. However, subjects that are swathed in shadow are sometimes just as interesting as those that have sun beams glowing across them. God created beauty everywhere; He didn't just create good things in the obvious places. He found beauty in things that we only see ugliness in or don't even take the time to notice.

No comments:

Post a Comment